For the people who don’t know Seth Godin yet, you can find a a short bio at the end of this blog. And just for inspiration: his very simple blog is absolutely recommended.
Seth talks about dancing on the edge of the revolution: From invisible to remarkable, how organizations thrive in the new connection economy.
Telling the story from Henry Ford (assembly line) to industrialization (interchangeable people). Do the same as yesterday but better and polish it. But the world has changed. The rules have changed. Look at music industry, travel industry, … it’s over. Mass marketing = Average stuff for average people. It’s time for revolution.
1. ‘Treat different people differently.’ The Gauss-curve is getting flatter and flatter. The ‘weird’ people at the edges are growing.
2. It’s all about connecting (coordination, trust, permission, exchange of ideas) – and we need generosity and art.
3. Go fully for your idea – 200%. It’s not only about flying too high but also don’t fly too low (check out his book -The Icarus Deception)
We’re moving from a scarcity-economy to an abundance economy (ideas = new currency). The different tribes are growing … it’s not only family-tribes, work-tribes or community-tribes anymore. A leader shows up and leads a tribe. Are you the new leader of your tribe?
People have been holding back for a very long time. The future is for ART – an artist creates something new, it comes from the heart and it requires courage. There is NO map. Competence is no longer a scarcity commodity.
A few tips:
1. Steal ideas
2. Do not listen to what your customers tell you what you want (ask for their problems)
3. Give credit relentlessly – be generous
4. Take as much blame as possible (take responsibility)
5. Ship ship ship – do it
6. Change things quietly (let it change gradually)
7. Keep it a secret for the vampires
8. Care – show up (4 pinguins of mediocrity: deniabilty, contempt, helplessness, fear)
9. Vulnerability leads to art – dare to fail. Fail fast and often and forward.
10. Start leading your tribe
‘If failure is not an option, then neither is success.’
Interview with Seth Godin done by the American ambassador Bruce Oreck.
Seth Godin is also been interviewed by Bruce Oreck – the US ambassador in Finland. Funny remark – Bruce has won the Colorado State men’s masters body building championship several years in a row. You can see it at his picture at the left.
Short bio: Seth Godin is one of the most influential marketers in the world. He is the author of fourteen books that have been bestsellers around the world and changed the way people think about marketing, change and work. His books have been translated into more than 33 languages, and his ebooks are among the most popular ever published. I have already read 3 or 4 books of Seth and he has very interesting ideas and visions. In his latest project Godin raised over 250 000 dollars in Kickstarter in one week which was enough to convince his publisher to publish his latest book “The Icarus Deception”.