The method: Breaking assumptions
A great method to generate new, breakthrough ideas is the method of ‘Breaking Assumptions’. We make assumptions almost the whole day about everything … An assumption is a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof. Most of the time it’s based on previous experiences where a certain outcome has happened and we assume that the same result will happen forever. But the world is changing so sometimes we have to watch out to make too many assumptions. We can also use assumptions in a great way to come up with new ideas. The method works as follows:
• Make a list of assumptions (write all the elements down that you expect from a product/service/process)
• Formulate a challenge where you state that that assumption is not true (or make it extreme to the negative side)
• Generate new ideas based on the new criteria
Eg: If you had to develop a new chair, how can you use the ‘assumptions’ method.
1. Assumptions of a chair:
– a chair has 4 legs
– flat surface
– stands on the floor
– surface to sit & back are fixed
2. Break an assumption or make it the assumption even more extreme:
3. List new ideas:
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!